Saturday, June 19, 2010

Casual Friday 2.0

JOHANNESBURG-- Friday was perhaps the longest day of my trip to date.

My day started in Durban at 4:45 a.m. and ended here a little before 2 a.m. In between I caught a flight, met a new friend, watched a tremendous soccer match at Ellis Park, got lost on the streets of Joburg and caught up with some Americans at my accommodation.

It was an incredible pace, but one that has made my adventures here in South Africa absolutely incredible so far.

After losing my cool at the airport, I ran into a woman from New York who was the most fun a person traveling could ask for. We went to the mall to buy warmer clothes, at lunch together and caught a taxi to Ellis Park for the US vs. Slovenia match.

Dominique and I were truly two Americans abroad. We laughed about our families, friends, and our love for the sights we have seen on our respective journeys.

As for the match, it was arguably the most exciting group match to date. Both teams attacked, both scored goals, there were crunching tackles, play acting from the Slovenians after being dispossessed, and an atmosphere that was unique to the World Cup.

Fortunately for me all the goals were scored on the north end. My seats were about 10 rows up on the East side of Ellis Park in an even line with the penalty area on the North end. (I was no more than 70 feet away from the pitch.)

With the United States in search of two second half goals, my perch was perfect for seeing the runs people were making off the ball, watching Jozy Altidore develop as a target striker and watch in pure euphoria when Michael Bradley scored the tying goal. (Had Altidore's goal counted, I would still be drenched in beer from the spraying that took place in my section!)

Unlike the game in Rustenburg, I didn't lose my voice after the match. I was too busy shooting pictures and videos to truly lose my voice this time. Plus, I was trying to watch my mouth because the referee from Mali was out of his depth in the match and it was evident to everyone in the stadium.

It took 90 minutes for me to set up my transport from the game out to my accommodation, but it allowed me to grab some food and speak with a few more South Africans. The longer I stay here, the more I think South Africans could be honorary southerners for all the hospitality they have shown me.

It would be fashionable to complain about the cold weather here, but I later found out that Johannesburg experienced record low temperatures during the first week of the World Cup. (For once, something here that FIFA had no control over, nor could they take the credit away from South Africa!)

Durban was billed as the "warmest place to watch the World Cup." It may have been a true statement, but the cold, dry air of Johannesburg is what got my blood going for a Friday unlike any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

36 Hours in Cape Town

Safari Time

Ellis Park & Longest Friday Ever

A Day in Durban

Eastern Cape

United States vs. England

Opening Day 2010 World Cup

Photos from June 9-10